Instrument Rental Equity Policy
Current renters. Use your account to:
- Pay your bill
- Order an exchange
- Order free replacement strings
- Close your account
- Much more!
- Sign in
Purchasing an instrument
Please read about our guarantees and services below before looking at our listings. If you would like you can go directly to the Instruments main menu.
The Johnson Guarantee
- All instruments purchased from our sales department have a one-year guarantee against defects in workmanship.
- Restoration and repairs completed at Johnson String Instrument / Carriage House Violins are guaranteed for as long as the purchaser owns the instrument.
- In order to ensure the purchaser's complete satisfaction, Johnson's will exchange any instrument in original condition during the first year of purchase, regardless of the reason.
Johnson String Instrument ("JSI") and Carriage House Violins ("CHV") will accept instruments, bows, and rental outfits previously purchased from JSI or CHV for trade-in from the original purchaser. Trade-in credit may be used towards an instrument or bow, excluding consignments, of the kind that was originally purchased (violin, viola, or cello) and of equal or greater value.
Please note the following item-specific policies:
- Instruments and wooden bows purchased from JSI/CHV will be credited at 100% of the purchase price minus a reconditioning fee.
- Carbon fiber and composite bows purchased from JSI/CHV will be credited at 60% of the purchase price.
- Rental outfits purchased from JSI will be credited at 100% of the purchase price minus a reconditioning fee.* Rental outfits may only be traded for instruments or outfits being purchased at CHV and must contain all original outfit components.
*Any promotional rental equity applied at time of purchase will be deducted from the total trade-in credit.
Trade-in instruments, bows, and rental outfits in need of repair will be discounted accordingly. JSI/CHV will be the sole arbiter of all reconditioning fees, repair costs, and the final trade-in value. Electric instruments, fretted instruments, and student bows purchased from JSI are not eligible for trade-in. Trade-in credit may not be combined with rental equity towards a single purchase. Due to a change in federal law, we are no longer able to accept items with elephant ivory components in trade.
More Advantages of Purchasing from Johnson's
- Our skilled and knowledgeable personnel have years of experience working with customers to help them find the right instrument for each player's tastes, abilities and budget.
- Our instruments are in excellent to mint condition and feature new bridges and soundposts, properly planed fingerboards, and well-fitted pegs.
- All Johnson instruments are reconditioned and adjusted to maintain the value of the instrument.
- We offer a full range of prices to accommodate the needs a wide variety of players, from the beginning student to the professional.
- Written appraisals are included with all instrument purchases.
- We welcome home trials to allow the player and teacher time to assess an instrument or bow.
- We now have on-line approval for instrument and bow trials, which can be shipped anywhere in the continental United States.
- As a special bonus for our rental customers, a portion of rental fees paid may be applied toward the purchase of an instrument.*