A for Active! The NS Design NXT we know and love got even better. The NXT4a Electric Viola now incorporates an active circuit taking the convenience, versatility and performance capability to the next level. The NXTa uses an innovative Dual Mode output system: charge the capacitor-powered active circuit for 60 seconds for up to 16 hours of playing time. If the battery runs out while playing, simply revert back to passive mode.
Crafted to exacting standards in the Czech Republic, the NXTa is lightweight with great ergonomics. Players will feel right at home with a traditional (and removable) reference bout, ebony chinrest and a highly adjustable shoulder rest. The NXT4a Electric Viola embodies physical elegance, tremendous ease of play and amazing tone.
- The Polar Pickup System is driven directly by the vibration of the strings, enabling it to produce a full spectrum of sound with power and clarity. (By contrast, an acoustic viola's amplified performance is heavily dependent upon the resonant capabilities of the body of the instrument.) A convenient switch beside the volume and tone controls allows selection between heightened Arco and Pizzicato pickup sensitivity, expanding the tonal palette even further, virtually free of wolf tones.
- Dual Mode Output - The new dual mode signal output electronics of the NXTa take the convenience, versatility and performance capability of the NXT to another level.
- Active Mode - Using the supplied charger, plug the NXT into any AC outlet for 60 seconds to power the capacitor-powered active circuit for up to 16 hours of performance time. The instrument can then be plugged straight into any low or high impedance device, no direct box necessary. Since there is no signal loss over the full frequency spectrum of the instrument, the fundamentals of every note remain clear and strong, even with extra-long cables.
- Passive Mode - The NXTa can be played in this mode when using a direct box or an amplifier with high impedance input. (This mode provides performance capabilities identical to the original NXT.)
- Eco-Friendly Operation - NXTa instruments are battery-free, eliminating the hassle and cost of batteries while helping protect our environment.
- The Custom Shoulder Rest features a foam-padded malleable aluminum base, which the player can bend and mold to the surface to the chest and shoulder. A wide range of height and angle adjustments can be made while the instrument is in playing position.
- The ergonomically contoured ebony chin rest is designed to work in tandem with the Custom Shoulder Rest for control, comfort and security.
- LENGTH: 585 MM (23")
- WIDTH: 117 MM (4.6")
- THICKNESS: 49 MM (1.92")
- WEIGHT: 650g
- SCALE LENGTH: 366 MM (14.4")
- BODY/NECK: Solid, straight grain maple, with maple face (Satin Black model) on body.
- BODY REFERENCE BOUT: Black-dyed maple bout on treble side provides standard viola reference. Easily removable for unrestricted fingerboard access.
- FINGERBOARD: Hand-graduated, featuring asymmetric curvature specially designed for enhanced left-hand playing ease.
- BRIDGE: Black-dyed maple, adjustable for preferred string height via screws accessed from the back.
- STRINGS: NS Electric Strings by D'Addario are standard. Compatible with solid and stranded core viola strings. Synthetic core strings are not recommended.
- PRECISION TUNING HARDWARE: NS Design patented tuning system. Fine tuners are mounted on the body behind the bridge for precise, stable tuning. Automatic string clamping allows for quick, easy string changes.
- BRIDGE PICKUP: The Polar directional piezo pickup system responds selectively to either vertical vibration (for remarkably even and sustained plucked/pizzicato sound, like a mandolin), or lateral vibration (for dynamic bowing, and a percussive plucked sound).
- ELECTRONICS & CONTROLS: Rotary volume control, with push-pull selection between Active and Passive output mode; Tone control (treble roll off); Arco/Pizzicato toggle switch.
- SHOULDER AND CHIN REST OPTIONS: The Custom Shoulder Rest is a standard with the NXTa Viola and can be formed by the player to fit the body perfectly. As an option, the violin can also attach to NS Design's revolutionary Balanced Shoulder Rest, which floats the instrument in the desired playing position without being clamped between the jaw and the shoulder.
- The contoured ebony chin rest supplied with the instrument is designed to work comfortably in tandem with the Custom Shoulder Rest. The optional Adjustable Chin Rest is also available for players wanting a more extensive range of position adjustments for more customized fit and comfort.
- NS VIOLA CASE: Customized for the NS Viola, this standard hardshell case with handle and shoulder strap includes separate compartments for shoulder rest, charger and accessories, a bow compartment and exterior zipper pouch. Made with durable Cordura® fabric, 3.2 kg (7 lb) loaded weight.