The NXTa Active Series Double Bass, whose electronics are fully based around the Polar Pickup System, share the classic body design, ergonomics and performance support options of the CR and EU Series. Available in 4 and 5 string configurations, these instruments are produced in the Czech Republic by the same craftsmen who build NS Design's most advanced instruments.
Arco and Pizzicato techniques have almost unlimited expressive potential, thanks to the Polar Pickup System. A convenient switch allows selection of the traditional arco mode for percussive attack and dynamic bowed response, or pizzicato mode for a smooth, sustained tone.
The solid maple body and neck, together with the graduated fingerboard, deliver a rich, full tone that rings true for every note. Asymmetrical fingerboard relief facilitates an even 'growl' from the higher strings and a clear, powerful lower register. The adjustable bridge and truss rod allow for low, fast action, or for higher string settings that encourage the traditional acoustic player to 'dig in' with gusto.
NS Electric Strings and most traditional acoustic strings fit all NS Double Basses, allowing the player to select from a wide range, each with a unique sound and feel. In combination with the easy adjustment of basic set-up parameters, the NXTa Series Bass is adaptable to many different styles of music.
Several interchangeable performance support systems are available for the NXTa upright bass: The NXT Tripod Stand (standard); the heavy-duty CR Tripod Stand; the more conventional Bass End Pin Stand and optional Conversion Kit (used in conjunction with the CR Tripod Stand); or full mobility either the Boomerang Strap System or the Frame Strap System.
- Dual Mode Output
- Active Mode - the NXTa connects into any AC outlet for 60 seconds, powering the capacitor-powered active circuit for up to 16 hours of performance time. The instrument can then be plugged straight into any low or high impedance device, no direct box necessary. Since there is no signal loss over the full frequency spectrum of the instrument, the fundamentals of every note remain clear and strong, even with extra-long cables.
- Passive Mode - The NXTa can be played in this mode when using a direct box or an amplifier with high impedance input. (This mode provides performance capabilities identical to the original NXT.)
- Eco-Friendly Operation - NXTa instruments are battery-free
- GIG BAG AND FLIGHT CASE: The NXTa double bass includes a padded gig bag that has a pouch for tripod stand, a bow compartment and room for the charger and accessories. The loaded gig bag will fit in the overhead compartment of most commercial aircraft. An optional hard-shell flight case is available for the NXTa double bass.
- LENGTH: 132 cm (52")
- WIDTH: 15 cm (6")
- THICKNESS: 10 cm (4")
- WEIGHT: 4.8 kg (10.5 lbs.)
- SCALE LENGTH: 106 cm (41.73")
- STRINGS: 4. Equipped with NS Contemporary Bass Strings by D'Addario. Compatible with most standard upright bass strings.
- BODY/NECK: Solid, straight grain maple, with flame maple face (Sunburst model) on body.
- FINGERBOARD: Hand-graduated. Intonation referenced with cascading dot markers.
- TRUSS ROD: Single Action, accessible at nut.
- TUNING HARDWARE: Fully encased worm gear tuners, black finish.
- BRIDGE PICKUP: The Polar directional piezo pickup system responds selectively to either vertical vibration (for the sustained plucked sound, like an electric bass guitar), or lateral vibration (for dynamic bowing, and a percussive plucked sound).
- ELECTRONICS & CONTROLS: Rotary volume control, with push-pull selection between Active and Self-Powered output mode; Tone control (treble roll off); Arco/Pizzicato toggle switch.
- NXT TRIPOD STAND: Standard with the NXTa, black painted steel, fully adjustable, self-standing tripod design. Folds for easy storage and fits into the NXT gig bag. Weight is 2.7 kg (6 lbs.).
- CR TRIPOD STAND: Optional, fully adjustable steel tripod stand. Weight is 3.6kg (8 lbs.).
- BASS END PIN STAND: The optional Bass End Pin Stand offers full freedom of movement. Height, tilt and "right bout" angle are fully adjustable providing a more conventional feel. Weight 3 kg (7 lbs).
- BASS END PIN STAND CONVERSION KIT: To hold the instrument upright for on-stand performance or when not in use, the Bass End Pin Stand can be attached to the CR Tripod Stand (not compatible with the NXT Tripod Stand) using the optional End Pin Stand Conversion Kit.
- BOOMERANG STRAP SYSTEM: This optional support system has a pivoting friction hub that holds the instrument firmly in place close to the body. Attached with a guitar style strap to its two support arms, the system allows the instrument to be moved into virtually any position in relation to the hands and body as it is played. Weight is .45 kg (1 lbs.).
- FRAME STRAP SYSTEM: This optional accessory is a lightweight frame structure that allows full mobility to perform in standing or upright position, holding the instrument out from the body similar to the reference in traditional positioning. The system is supported by a single guitar style strap extending over the left shoulder. Weight is 0.68kg (1.5 lbs.).