Calvin Baker violin, Boston 1881
Calvin Baker apprenticed with Asa White and worked for Thompson & Odell at 177 Washington Street in Boston. He also worked for Orin Weeman and had his own shops in Braintree and Weymouth, Massachusetts. He later partnered with H. E. Abbott of Baker & Abbott in Boston.
This violin is made from wood salvaged from the old Marlboro Hotel built in 1837 and formerly located at 229 Washington Street in Boston. It is after a Stradivari model, with a beautiful two-piece maple back of medium flame and varnish of golden orange. Typical of Baker's instruments, the stamp C. BAKER appears on the back under the button, interrupting the line of purfling. The violin possesses excellent volume and clarity, and is bold and bright.
< Continue Shopping
Helpful information on purchasing an instrument or bow
Johnson String Instrument
1029 Chestnut Street
Newton Upper Falls, MA 02464
617 964-0954 | 800 359-9351
Website, Image & Design