Calvin Baker flourished c. 1862-1915 in Boston, Massachusetts, where he apprenticed with Asa White, then worked for Thompson & Odell and Orin Weeman. He established his own shops in Braintree and Weymouth, and later partnered with H. E. Abbott to form Baker & Abbott in Boston.
This violin is made from wood salvaged from the old Marlboro Hotel built in 1837 and formerly located at 229 Washington Street in Boston. It is after a Stradivari model, with a beautiful two-piece maple back of medium flame and varnish of golden orange. Typical of Baker's instruments, the stamp C. BAKER appears on the back under the button, interrupting the line of purfling. The violin possesses excellent volume and clarity, and is bold and bright.
Calvin Baker, Boston 1881 Golden orange varnish. 355mm 4/4