German violin maker Ernst Reinhold Schmidt (1857â1928) was born in Markneukirchen where he apprenticed as a violin maker before moving to Leipzig to work for Bausch and Hammig. He later worked for renowned maker and restorer August Riechers in Berlin before returning to his native Markneukirchen in 1884 to open his own firm, E. R. Schmidt & Company. The Schmidt workshop grew to become one of the most successful in Markneukirchen during the early 1900s and employed a large staff including Ernst Reinholdâs sons, Reinhold Wilhelm and Ernst Oscar. The two brothers later departed to the United States to establish their own business in Cleveland, Ohio. Schmidtâs instruments won gold medals at the Worldâs Fairs of Vienna in 1892 and Leipzig in 1913.