W.E. Hill and Sons violin bow, circa 1934

W.E. Hill and Sons violin bow, circa 1934
Catalog ID: C-2469

Begun in 1880 by William Ebsworth Hill (1817–1895), the London-based company of W. E. Hill & Sons grew to become one of the most important in violin making history for over 100 years. As leading experts on historic Cremonese instruments, W. E. and his four sons, William Henry Hill (1857–1927), Arthur Frederick Hill (1860–1939), Albert Ebsworth Hill (1865–1940), and Walter Edgar Hill (1871–1905), handled the restoration and sales of the world’s finest instruments, including those of Stradivari and Guarneri. Particularly known for their bows, Hill & Sons employed numerous top bow makers, including James Tubbs (1835–1921), Samuel Allen (1838–1914), Frank Napier (1885–1969), Albert Leeson (1903–1946), Edgar Bishop (1904–1943), William Charles Retford (1875–1970), and Malcolm Taylor (1934–2012).

In Stock

Call For Price