A French cello bow made, in our opinion, by Joseph Henry. The round stick bears the maker's brand stamp and is mounted with the original ebony and silver fittings.
Celebrated bow maker Joseph Henry (1823-1870) was born in Mirecourt, France, where he began his training. He moved to Paris at the age of 14 to work for the violin shop of Georges Chanot, then began working with Dominique Peccatte, who was employed at the famous Parisian workshop of Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume. Around 1848, Henry went into business for a few years with Pierre Simon, another distinguished student of Peccatte, before establishing his own workshop in 1851. Henry made many bows in collaboration with both Peccatte and Simon, eventually developing a distinct personal style. He produced bows for numerous violin shops, including Gand frères, Gand & Bernardel, and Georges Chanot, as well as bows stamped with his own name. Henry's bows are very highly regarded among professional players.