Marie Louis Piernot violin bow branded "Leon Bernardel, Paris"
Celebrated French bow maker Marie-Louis Piernot (1880 - 1959) apprenticed in Mirecourt with Charles Nicolas Bazin until 1900, when he moved to Paris to work for Joseph Arthur Vigneron (Vigneron père). A very prolific maker, his bows bear the stamps of the various violin shops he worked for, including Léon & René Bernardel, Pierre Hel, André Vigneron, Pierre Vidoudez, and numerous others. The bow offered here is stamped E. Marchand for François Eugène Marchand, a renowned restorer and repairer. Piernot established his own workshop in Paris 1923, where he continued to make bows under other brand names, as well as his own.
Sold with a certificate of authenticity from Paul Childs.