Louis Joseph Morizot nickel violin bow stamped "P. Hel a Lille"
Patriarch of the Morizot dynasty of French bow makers based in Mirecourt, Louis Joseph Morizot (1874 - 1957), known as "Morizot Père," apprenticed in the workshops of Eugène Cuniot-Hury and Charles Nicolas Bazin. In 1914, Morizot began working for Eugène Sartory for several years, before establishing his own shop in 1920. Louis trained and employed five of his sons at Morizot et fils, which would succeed as one of the most prolific bow workshops in France, as well as one of the leading exporters to the American market in the first decades of the 20th century. Renamed Morizot Frères in 1937, after Louis sold the business to his sons, the shop remained highly productive through the 1950s. This bow was made for the Pierre Hel workshop.