**Attention local customers: Our Newton location is open for curbside pickup only. Select "curbside pickup" as the shipping method in checkout.**

7/8 Jérôme Thibouville-Lamy violin labeled "Buthod", Mirecourt circa 1900

7/8 Jérôme Thibouville-Lamy violin labeled "Buthod", Mirecourt circa 1900 7/8 Jérôme Thibouville-Lamy violin labeled "Buthod", Mirecourt circa 1900 7/8 Jérôme Thibouville-Lamy violin labeled "Buthod", Mirecourt circa 1900
Catalog ID: A-VN/5166

Jérôme Thibouville-Lamy was the name of a prodigious musical instrument company operating in Mirecourt, France in the mid-19th through mid-20th centuries. Formerly called Husson-Buthod-Thibouville, it was jointly owned by bow maker Charles-Claude Nicolas Husson (Husson père 1823-1872), violin maker Charles Louis Buthod (1810-1889), and Louis Émile Jérôme Thibouville (1833-1902), heir to the Thibouville wind instrument business founded in the 18th century. In 1861, the company's name was changed when Thibouville married Marguerite Hyacinthe Lamy and is often referred to by the abbreviation J.T.L.

Highly prolific and comprehensive, the instrument factory expanded beyond Mirecourt to include workshops in Paris. It produced tens of thousands of stringed, wind, brass, and keyboard instruments annually, crafted by over 1000 instrument makers and exported internationally. The extensive JTL catalog offered instrument and bow models of various levels of quality for professional and student players, including the popular labels Médio-Fino and Compagnon for violins, and the Sarasate brand for bows.

Many notable luthiers trained at JTL, including Paul Kaul, Marius Didier, Charles Claude Fétique, Pierre Claudot, Georges Cherpitel, and Joseph Aubry. The firm was known to produce instruments and bows for other reputable makers and dealers, including Charles Buthod and Hugues Emile Blondelet-who became a co-director of the firm in 1908. The JTL company closed in 1969.

In Stock

$9,500.00