Son and pupil of Gaetano Sgarabotto, Pietro Sgarabotto (1903-1990) was born in Milan shortly after his father moved to that city to serve an apprenticeship with Riccardo Antoniazzi and Leandro Bisiach. As a youth he trained as a violinist and began work as a luthier with his father in Vicenza in 1920. His work is like his father's in terms of both style and execution-the instruments exhibit a considerable degree of sophistication and refinement. He regularly used a Stradivari pattern, and his output is of an extremely consistent quality, seeming to vary mainly in the color and shading of the varnish.
Pietro taught at the International School of Violin Making in Parma with his father from 1929 to 1936 and later at the International School of Violin Making in Cremona from 1959 to 1973. Notably, a violin, viola, and cello of his were exhibited at the Stradivari Bicentennial Exhibition and violin competition of 1937, the event which led to the founding of the Cremona violin-making school in 1939. He was awarded numerous medals and prizes for his work at competitions and exhibitions in Italy between 1920 and 1961.