Eugene Cuniot-Hury cello bow circa 1900, branded J. Hel
French bow maker Eugène Cuniot (1861 - 1910) studied and worked with his father, bow maker Pierre Cuniot (1839 - 1884) in Mirecourt, France. Upon marrying into the prominent Hury family in 1894, he became known as "Cuniot-Hury." His bows were influenced by Dominique Peccatte, François Nicolas Voirin, and members of the Bazin family, including his famous colleague, Charles Nicolas Bazin.
Cuniot-Hury's Mirecourt workshop grew to rival Bazin's, employing several outstanding and prolific bow makers, including Louis Morizot, Alfred Lamy, and renowned maker Émile François Ouchard, his main assistant who took over the shop after Cuniot-Hury's death. Many of the bows made in the Cuniot-Hury workshop were exported to other violin shops unbranded, such as the bow offered here, stamped "J. Hel."
Sold with a certificate of authenticity from Salchow & Sons.