German cello, Mittenwald circa 1950
Mittenwald, Germany was established as a major center for violin making in the early 18th century when Mathias Klotz (1656â1743) settled there to build stringed instruments and raise his sons as luthiers. His second son, Sebastian Klotz (1696âc. 1775), became a highly skilled maker and taught his own sons the craft, who in turn continued the familyâs successful business through the beginning of the 19th century.
With the rise of the Industrial Revolution of the early 19th century, an important period beganâthat of the mass production of stringed instruments, built by assembly-line constructionâin the European violin making centers, including Mittenwald and the German town of Markneukirchen. As a reaction against the industrialization of instrument making, Maximilian II of Bavaria established the Geigenbauschule in Mittenwald in 1858, an instrument-making school, which helped restore the craft of violin making by individual artisans. Violin maker Ludwig Neuner (1840â1897) also contributed to re-establishing violin making as an art form by bringing to Mittenwald the techniques tat he learned in Paris while working in the famous atelier of Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume.
Today, Mittenwald is home to numerous professional violin makers as well as students at the world-renowned Geigenbauschule. It is also a popular tourist destination, where violin enthusiasts can visit the Violin Making Museum exhibiting the townâs long history of violin making from Mathias Klotz to the present day.Length of back: 754 mm 4/4