A German violin bow made, in our opinion, in the Pfretzschner workshop in Markneukirchen circa 1920. The round stick is branded Voirin and mounted with the original ebony and nickel fittings.
One of the most prevalent names in German lutherie, Pfretzschner violin and bow makers can be traced back to the early 1700s in Markneukirchen. While the most important member of the celebrated Pfretzschner dynasty of bow makers was Hermann Richard Pfretzschner (1856 - 1921), other notable makers with the Pfretzschner last name existed, and many violin shops at the end of the 19th century through the early 20th century likely stamped some of their bows with the prestigious name. It is believed that the stamp F. C. Pfretzschner was a brand name used by some German workshops for their production of bow models influenced by Pfretzschner models and craftsmanship. In addition, numerous unstamped bows exist, which display characteristics consistent with Pfretzschner bow models. Bows such as these are often designated as Pfretzschner Workshop bows.
Sold wth a certificate of authenticity from Salchow and Sons.