French bow maker Dominique "Justin" Poirson was born in 1851 in Mirecourt and moved at a young age to Paris, where he apprenticed with Nicolas Rémy Maire. Joining the prestigious workshop of Jean-Baptiste Vuillaume in 1870, his bow making style was influenced by many of France's finest makers, including François Nicolas Voirin. After the Vuillaume shop closed in 1875, Poirson worked for Gand and Bernardel; his bows from this period, such as the violin bow offered here, bear the stamp of that firm. Poirson opened his own workshop in Paris in 1880 and made bows up to his death in 1925.
Sold with a certificate of authenticity from Salchow & Sons.