Celebrated French bow maker Marie Louis Piernot (1880 - 1959) apprenticed in Mirecourt with Charles Nicolas Bazin until 1900, when he moved to Paris to work for Joseph Arthur Vigneron (Vigneron père). A very prolific maker, his bows bear the stamps of the various violin shops he worked for, including Léon & René Bernardel, Pierre Hel, André Vigneron, Pierre Vidoudez, and numerous others. The bow offered here is stamped E. Marchand for François Eugène Marchand, a renowned restorer and repairer. Piernot established his own workshop in Paris 1923, where he continued to make bows under other brand names, as well as his own.
This bow is being sold with a certificate of authenticity from Salchow & Sons.