Paul Knorr violin, Markneukirchen circa 1920
Born into the Knorr family of luthiers in Markneukirchen, Germany, Paul Knorr (1882-1977) studied at the workshop of Max Dölling. After working in Breslau and Berlin, he returned to Markneukirchen in 1918 to work for the instrument factory of F. & R. Enders before establishing his own workshop in 1923. Knorr was among the most distinguished commercial violin makers in the early 20th century to specialize in the "Art Violin," a higher quality line of instruments produced to be sold directly to musicians rather than wholesalers. Highly prolific over his long career, Knorr followed patterns of Cremonese masters for his instruments.