Jérôme Thibouville-Lamy viola bow branded "Blondelet"
Jérôme Thibouville-Lamy was the name of a prodigious musical instrument company operating in Mirecourt, France in the mid-19th through mid-20th centuries. Formerly called Husson-Buthod-Thibouville, it was jointly owned by bow maker Charles-Claude Nicolas Husson ("Husson père" 1823-1872), violin maker Charles Louis Buthod (1810-1889), and Louis Émile Jérôme Thibouville (1833-1902), heir to the Thibouville wind instrument making business founded in the 18th century. In 1861, the company's name was changed when Thibouville married Marguerite Hyacinthe Lamy and is often referred to by the abbreviation "J.T.L."
Highly prolific and comprehensive, the instrument factory expanded beyond Mirecourt to include workshops in Paris, producing hundreds of thousands of stringed, wind, brass, and keyboard instruments annually, crafted by over 1000 instrument makers and exported internationally. The extensive JTL catalogue offered instrument and bow models of various levels of quality for professional and student players, including the popular labels "Médio-Fino" and "Compagnon" for violins, and the "Renaudin-Paris" brand for bows, among numerous others.
Replicas of violins by Jakob Stainer, Mathias Kloz, and Cremonese masters were made by luthiers who trained at JTL, including Paul Kaul, Marius Didier, Charles Claude Fétique, Pierre Claudot, Georges Cherpitel, and Joseph Aubry. Numerous independent makers had instruments produced at the firm, including Prosper Colas, bow makers Jean Joseph Martin and Marcel Charles Lapierre, and luthier Hugues-Emile Blondelet-who became a co-director of the firm in 1908. The JTL company closed in 1969.Round. Ebony and silver fittings.