An English cello bow made, in our opinion by John Dodd in London circa 1800. The round stick is branded DODD and mounted in modern ebony and silver fittings.
John Dodd (1752-1839) was the most important English bow maker of the 18th century, whose prolific output reflects the significant evolution of the violin bow over his long career. Eldest son of bow maker Edward Dodd (c. 1705-c. 1800), and brother to violin maker, dealer and bow maker Thomas Dodd (1764-1834), John Dodd is commonly referred to as the "English Tourte" for his development of the modern violin bow in London at the same time that François Xavier Tourte was producing similar models in Paris. Formerly a metal worker, John Dodd improved the bow screw mechanism, and introduced the "top-hat" mortise and use of tortoiseshell or ebony for frogs. Early in his career, John Dodd made bows for Norris and Barnes in London, and later supplied bows to the violin shops of Benjamin Banks, John Betts, William Forster, and presumably to Thomas Dodd & Sons, his brother's highly successful business. His nephews, bow maker James Dodd Jr. (James Dodd II, 1792-1865) and bow maker and violin dealer Edward Dodd III (1797-1851) continued the Dodd family workshop, expanding the London business to include keyboard instruments through the mid 19th century. Bows of John Dodd are very highly sought after by professional players and collectors.
Sold with a certificate of authenticity from Salchow and Sons.