Henry Richard Knopf cello, New York 1905
Born into the illustrious Knopf dynasty of German bow makers, Henry Richard Knopf (1860 - 1939) excelled in both bow making and violin making. With his father, Heinrich Carl Knopf (1839 - 1875), he studied bow making in Markneukirchen, before moving to Dresden to work with his uncle, bow maker Johann Wilhelm Knopf (1835 - 1912) at the renowned bow workshop of Ludwig Bausch. Knopf moved to Berlin to train in violin making and restoration with G. Christian Adam, then emigrated to the United States in 1879, where he established one of the earliest violin shops in New York City in 1880. With assistance from Knopf's sons Eugene and Richard, the H. R. Knopf business grew into one of the most successful American violin shops of the early 20th century.